Discussion Forum - Northstar Chevelle Club

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Beatifully restored '71 Chevelle for sale-I know the seller


3K+ Club

Status: Offline
Posts: 4764
Date:
Beatifully restored '71 Chevelle for sale-I know the seller
Permalink  
 


A buddy I work with just threw his '71 on CL yesterday to see if he gets any interest, as he did a frame off resto to it, and is ready for a new project.  The paint is beautiful with the ghost stripes, and all it would need is a different set of gears and a posi since it is a one wheeled wonder with highway gears in it.  He might be a somewhat high in price, but it is a super clean resto-$35K

CL Link

http://images.craigslist.org/00o0o_elpVePf13kb_600x450.jpg

 



__________________

Stan S.-Twin Cities 'South Metro'

1972 Malibu Convertible 2nd time around 

1999 SS Camaro LS1-6 speed

Forum influenced terms: 'Link Paste', 'Stanitized', & 'Revolving garage door...' 

 



Founding Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 2742
Date:
Permalink  
 

Beautiful car, but that's BB/4spd money IMHO.

__________________

Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN

69 Malibu Pro-Touring stroker LS1-383/T56 - 69 SS396-325/3spd project



3K+ Club

Status: Offline
Posts: 4764
Date:
Permalink  
 

Derek69SS wrote:

Beautiful car, but that's BB/4spd money IMHO.


 Yep, he's at the 'easier to come down than go up, and... I don't have to sell it' price.



__________________

Stan S.-Twin Cities 'South Metro'

1972 Malibu Convertible 2nd time around 

1999 SS Camaro LS1-6 speed

Forum influenced terms: 'Link Paste', 'Stanitized', & 'Revolving garage door...' 

 



Super Poster

Status: Offline
Posts: 654
Date:
Permalink  
 

I REALLY like that paint.

__________________

Darren - Crystal, MN
1972 4-door Chevelle driver/racer
2003 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab



President

Status: Offline
Posts: 7257
Date:
Permalink  
 

Derek69SS wrote:

Beautiful car, but that's BB/4spd money IMHO.


 Yep, 'bout 7k high. Someone may come along that just "has to have it" and pay that...dunno



__________________

Mitch D.   River Falls, WI

Lifetime member of the "Cars apart Club"

Some Assembly Required

1966 Chevelle SS 396 M20

1970 Chevelle SS 396 M20

1967 Camaro SS 350 rs



Active Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 491
Date:
Permalink  
 

He can dream! He is 14-15 high. IMO. He is in 1970 396 SS money. Wonder how he came up with his value? I think the vinyl top will hurt the value as being less desirable compared to a painted top.

__________________

'Gear Lube' 
emoticon-tv-002.gif



Secretary

Status: Offline
Posts: 2988
Date:
Permalink  
 

looks like a car that needs better pictures for the price. Hard to see how nice it must be. Good lighting and angles alone can make an OK look nice. (see picture of red '72 to the left of this sentence.



-- Edited by bowtie on Tuesday 17th of June 2014 10:04:54 AM

__________________

Bryan-NW 'burbs
1972 Malibu
Vaguely stock appearing, and the opposite of restored.
1999 std bore 5.7, Vortec heads, Holley Stealth Ram, GM cam
700R4, Viking coilovers, 12 bolt 4.10 posi, and a whole bunch more



President

Status: Offline
Posts: 7257
Date:
Permalink  
 

gearlube wrote:

He can dream! He is 14-15 high. IMO. He is in 1970 396 SS money. Wonder how he came up with his value? I think the vinyl top will hurt the value as being less desirable compared to a painted top.


 You're being a little harsh, Tom. For 20k it would be in my driveway with a fresh For Sale sign on it. thumbsup

A nut and bolt resto is worth more than a rattle can resto.



__________________

Mitch D.   River Falls, WI

Lifetime member of the "Cars apart Club"

Some Assembly Required

1966 Chevelle SS 396 M20

1970 Chevelle SS 396 M20

1967 Camaro SS 350 rs



3K+ Club

Status: Offline
Posts: 4764
Date:
Permalink  
 

Lost in the 60s wrote:
gearlube wrote:

He can dream! He is 14-15 high. IMO. He is in 1970 396 SS money. Wonder how he came up with his value? I think the vinyl top will hurt the value as being less desirable compared to a painted top.


 You're being a little harsh, Tom. For 20k it would be in my driveway with a fresh For Sale sign on it. thumbsup

A nut and bolt resto is worth more than a rattle can resto.


This is a high $20's car all day long if you could see it in person IMO.  Bryan is right on the pics.  The entire car is super sanitary from the underside up through the interior.  Yeah, the vinyl top might hurt it some, but the overall quality of the restoration is top notch, which I think would drive mid to upper 20's for the right buyer. The fresh 383 with over 400 hp doesn't hurt it either IMO as a lot of guys don't want the weight/fuel consumption penalties of a BBC.

I asked him this a.m. if he had any bites, and so far only a trade offer for some MN lakefront property.



__________________

Stan S.-Twin Cities 'South Metro'

1972 Malibu Convertible 2nd time around 

1999 SS Camaro LS1-6 speed

Forum influenced terms: 'Link Paste', 'Stanitized', & 'Revolving garage door...' 

 



Super Poster

Status: Offline
Posts: 603
Date:
Permalink  
 

I've seen the car and the pictures don't do the paint justice.   35k is probably a little high, but I think to the right buyer he could see high 20's.  Always hard with a custom car because you have to find someone who likes it just the way you built it, but I think anyone would looks at it would be impressed with how clean everything is.



__________________

Steve S. - Fountain, MN

 

1972 Chevelle - 383 stroked LS1/4L60E - SOLD!



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 90
Date:
Permalink  
 

gearlube wrote:

He can dream! He is 14-15 high. IMO. He is in 1970 396 SS money. Wonder how he came up with his value? I think the vinyl top will hurt the value as being less desirable compared to a painted top.


There are a few of us that prefer the vinyl top depending on the color.  I would still say high 20's if the paint is like the pics



__________________


Active Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 491
Date:
Permalink  
 

I was basing my opinion off of Ebay, which is a good market indicator. Tell him to put it on Ebay. Will only cost him $50 or so to list. See how high it goes?

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Chevelle-Resto-Mod-1971-chevelle-502-/281354164447?forcerrptr=true&hash=item418203d8df&item=281354164447&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Above is a 502 Big Block restored, similar color and vinyl top.  Finished at 26K

 

Since March 23rd on finished auctions on Ebay only one 1971 Chevelle made it over 30K and that was a 71 454 Vert that was stunning.  The next similar car was a true SS for 23K.

 

Not trying to be harsh, just basing an opinion on market measures.  But your right there is always a buyer for every car.  I hope he gets the most he can because it lifts the value of others!!

 



-- Edited by gearlube on Wednesday 18th of June 2014 11:33:32 AM

__________________

'Gear Lube' 
emoticon-tv-002.gif



Mega Poster

Status: Offline
Posts: 705
Date:
Permalink  
 

Ok, I will probably get flamed for this.

1st of all that is an absolute beautiful clean car, no if's or but about it.

The only issue I have is the the content of the ad. It is not 'Complete frame off (nut & bolt) restoration'. Its a 'custom' with all the painted details (inner fenderwell, axles, suspension parts, etc.), X-pipe, headers, front engine accessories, powder coated frame (looks to be a hammertone detail). I don't recall Chevelles coming with such a deep red metallic growing up either...but I could be wrong.

Not sure if he has the original, if 383, then it a modified engine.

__________________

John E - Rogers, MN

Instructions? All I need is the exploded view.
70 El Camino soon to be ls1/t56
64 Malibu SS



President

Status: Offline
Posts: 7257
Date:
Permalink  
 

Enganeer wrote:

Ok, I will probably get flamed for this.

1st of all that is an absolute beautiful clean car, no if's or but about it.

The only issue I have is the the content of the ad. It is not 'Complete frame off (nut & bolt) restoration'. Its a 'custom' with all the painted details (inner fenderwell, axles, suspension parts, etc.), X-pipe, headers, front engine accessories, powder coated frame (looks to be a hammertone detail). I don't recall Chevelles coming with such a deep red metallic growing up either...but I could be wrong.

Not sure if he has the original, if 383, then it a modified engine.


 Ok, get picky....the ad should read "Nut and bolt Resto-Mod....razz

It also says it's a numbers matching engine and then he states it's a new crate 383....does the original engine come with on a pallet....confused



__________________

Mitch D.   River Falls, WI

Lifetime member of the "Cars apart Club"

Some Assembly Required

1966 Chevelle SS 396 M20

1970 Chevelle SS 396 M20

1967 Camaro SS 350 rs



3K+ Club

Status: Offline
Posts: 4764
Date:
Permalink  
 

Lost in the 60s wrote:
It also says it's a numbers matching engine and then he states it's a new crate 383....does the original engine come with on a pallet....confused

 He isn't clear in the ad, but yes it does.



__________________

Stan S.-Twin Cities 'South Metro'

1972 Malibu Convertible 2nd time around 

1999 SS Camaro LS1-6 speed

Forum influenced terms: 'Link Paste', 'Stanitized', & 'Revolving garage door...' 

 



Active Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 491
Date:
Permalink  
 

But with a cloned 350 model does it really matter to have a numbers matching? Color is not original. Wheels are not original. trans etc. I thought when you advertise numbers matching your advertising originality right? He has a nice car. I just don't think he is serious about selling it because he couldn't have done his market research. Just like in selling a home you look at market compatibles. What has recently sold? What will the market bare? There are places to do this like Ebay, or some of the major consignments out there. Barrett Jackson and Meccum is a joke to compare to. If he wants to move it, he needs better pics, better descriptions etc and a angle to sell it. Like buy this, and just drive, or turnkey. But even with that I would be shocked if he got over 25k. If he got an offer of 20-23 he should take it and run.

I am not speaking from from no experience here. I learned a hard lesson with my 71 white Chevelle. Had it on Ebay twice. Yes it was not as perfect as his, but it was very nice, had 500+ HP and a 6 speed Tremec. I was emotionally attached to it and was pegging 28-30k. I never got above offers of 22K. I finally consigned it and went through the process on how they price their cars if I was to sell it, or store it so to speak. I listened and it sold at 22.5K pretty quickly. I know of a few others who have gone through the same reality checks....

__________________

'Gear Lube' 
emoticon-tv-002.gif



2K+ Club

Status: Offline
Posts: 2760
Date:
Permalink  
 

I wont comment on what this particular car is worth but the market isnt really going to help sell this car at that price and after all is said and done, 71's and 72's still aren't getting that kind of money, nd the ones that are have a documented LS5 under the hood. Like Stan says, he is at the I dont have to sell it, price.

Plus the fact that there are some very nice 71/2's selling for mid to high teens like the member here that sold his very nice, yellow 72 to another members co-worker whom brought the car out to the meeting at Chris P's a few months back. When there are very nice cars like that out there selling for mid teens, it makes for a very tough sell to pay an extra 20K for the car in discussion, even if it is in impeccable condition.



__________________

Chris - Ramsey, MN.

Dear Optimist, Pessimist, and Realist.

While you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water. I drank it!

Sincerly,

The opportunist.



Active Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 491
Date:
Permalink  
 

That yellow one was nice too! Not my color, but clean. I wonder why people put things up for sale like that on Craigslist if they don't intend on selling? I am sure all of you have sold crap on Craigslist. When I was selling mine, I got the stupidest, most annoying questions. I think my favorite was, this guy emailed me and asked if he could borrow my. Car for the night for a date. LOL. I emailed him back and told him no problem, my address is xxx xxx xxx come out and pick it up. I gave him the address of the Wendy's in Rosemount! Wonder if the idiot showed up? He never did thank me. Anyways I would never go through the pain of all the, is the item still for sale sir? Um item, you mean car? My friend is going to come down and bring cash for a down payment. Once I get the item I will wire you the money. Ok sure dude, sounds great! Is that before or after you pirate that oil tanker?

I still kick myself for not buying Ricks 70. He was waaaay underpriced. Plus he kept and keeps his cars in great shape.

Oh well live and learn.

__________________

'Gear Lube' 
emoticon-tv-002.gif



Moderator

Status: Offline
Posts: 895
Date:
Permalink  
 

Interesting reading the comments....I now almost feel lucky that my insurance company didn't blink at $28K agreed value.



-- Edited by Tony Hoffer on Thursday 19th of June 2014 12:42:31 AM

__________________
You can sleep in your car, But you cant drive your house


President

Status: Offline
Posts: 7257
Date:
Permalink  
 

Chris R wrote:

 

Plus the fact that there are some very nice 71/2's selling for mid to high teens like the member here that sold his very nice, yellow 72 to another members friend.


 I wasn't going to say anything but the yellow car turned out to be a bomb. I wasn't with him when he looked at it or he wouldn't own it. I believe it had been in a serious frontal collision in the distant past and sat for a long time until it became viable to rebuild for profit. The frame was badly damaged and negligently repaired at the lower left front a arm mount and the entire front clip is aftermarket parts that don't fit well. Quite frankly, the frame repair was so poorly done that it was a time bomb waiting to fail and possibly make the car uncontrollable. He now has a LOT of money in the frame repair to make it what it should have been at the time of rebuild.

The lesson here is, you can look at pics of cars all day long and not see the hidden crap that goes on and think they are worth XXXXX amount of money. The Yellow car was a 12k AT BEST car and I would've encouraged him to pass if I had inspected it first.

I looked at several "nice" cars with him and they all looked good in the pics. Crawl underneath and open the trunk/hood and the nightmare reveals itself. A good bondo slinger/painter can make anything look good on the outside.

If the car in question truly is a nut and bolt rebuild/restoration and is done to a high level of workmanship, it would be a standout in the crowd of poorly done vehicles that look good in pictures.

 



__________________

Mitch D.   River Falls, WI

Lifetime member of the "Cars apart Club"

Some Assembly Required

1966 Chevelle SS 396 M20

1970 Chevelle SS 396 M20

1967 Camaro SS 350 rs



Secretary

Status: Offline
Posts: 2988
Date:
Permalink  
 

Gearlube-I bet the right price could buy Ricks car back, new owner is a member here.

A big part of selling these cars is the dreamer factor. A garbage '72 sold for over $3500 at the all GM show-needed everything but was pretty complete. A total resto that's spot-on might get 10 times that if it's impeccable, but to get from one to the other takes at least that kind of money unless you're doing absolutely everything yourself (paint/body/refinishing all original parts plus replacements).

Most people change things to what they want and when it comes time to sell, they think they can get 80-100% of their investment back. Pretty rare.

I consider anything less than my investment in my car "rental and entertainment" payments, because I know I'll never get it all back.


__________________

Bryan-NW 'burbs
1972 Malibu
Vaguely stock appearing, and the opposite of restored.
1999 std bore 5.7, Vortec heads, Holley Stealth Ram, GM cam
700R4, Viking coilovers, 12 bolt 4.10 posi, and a whole bunch more



2K+ Club

Status: Offline
Posts: 2760
Date:
Permalink  
 

Lost in the 60s wrote:
Chris R wrote:

 

Plus the fact that there are some very nice 71/2's selling for mid to high teens like the member here that sold his very nice, yellow 72 to another members friend.


 I wasn't going to say anything but the yellow car turned out to be a bomb. I wasn't with him when he looked at it or he wouldn't own it. I believe it had been in a serious frontal collision in the distant past and sat for a long time until it became viable to rebuild for profit. The frame was badly damaged and negligently repaired at the lower left front a arm mount and the entire front clip is aftermarket parts that don't fit well. Quite frankly, the frame repair was so poorly done that it was a time bomb waiting to fail and possibly make the car uncontrollable. He now has a LOT of money in the frame repair to make it what it should have been at the time of rebuild.

The lesson here is, you can look at pics of cars all day long and not see the hidden crap that goes on and think they are worth XXXXX amount of money. The Yellow car was a 12k AT BEST car and I would've encouraged him to pass if I had inspected it first.

I looked at several "nice" cars with him and they all looked good in the pics. Crawl underneath and open the trunk/hood and the nightmare reveals itself. A good bondo slinger/painter can make anything look good on the outside.

If the car in question truly is a nut and bolt rebuild/restoration and is done to a high level of workmanship, it would be a standout in the crowd of poorly done vehicles that look good in pictures.

 


 Interesting Mitch. Ill admit, I only seen the outside and inside of the car so that sure isnt a very fair judgement on just what condition the car is in. Thats really too bad the car turned out that way for the guy. Just proof that you really need to go over any classic car to find these things.



__________________

Chris - Ramsey, MN.

Dear Optimist, Pessimist, and Realist.

While you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water. I drank it!

Sincerly,

The opportunist.



Active Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 471
Date:
Permalink  
 

Hey guys, I saw this car in Farmington last night. I don't think any picture is going to do it any justice, it looks amazing. I can't argue whether it is worth the price, but sure was glad I got to see it.

__________________

Chris S.

Oak Grove

'68 Malibu (His)

'68 442 (Hers)



President

Status: Offline
Posts: 7257
Date:
Permalink  
 

Chris S wrote:

Hey guys, I saw this car in Farmington last night. I don't think any picture is going to do it any justice, it looks amazing. I can't argue whether it is worth the price, but sure was glad I got to see it.


 That's cool that another person has seen it now...thumbsup

What the heck are you doing that far from Canada to go to Farmington...laughing



__________________

Mitch D.   River Falls, WI

Lifetime member of the "Cars apart Club"

Some Assembly Required

1966 Chevelle SS 396 M20

1970 Chevelle SS 396 M20

1967 Camaro SS 350 rs



Active Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 471
Date:
Permalink  
 

You sound like my in-laws, they think we live I Canada too! The trip from Prescott is way too far to come for a visit. Doesn't bother my wife any, she says we live just far enough north.

I went down for the car cruise they had Fri. night. I drive there on my route for work a lot and have got to know some people there. What a great night for a cruise, both there and all the way home.

__________________

Chris S.

Oak Grove

'68 Malibu (His)

'68 442 (Hers)



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 90
Date:
Permalink  
 

Chris S wrote:

, they think we live I Canada too! 

 


 Yeah we hear the same thing and its less than 30 miles from downtown Minneapolis

But I would think everyone in Lakeland would always be dizzy rolleyes



-- Edited by stldrgn on Thursday 26th of June 2014 08:18:02 PM

__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!